Meteora, Greece


What are the first images that come to your mind when you think about Greece?

Well for me it is sun, white houses and see, of course Athens with ancient history, good food and wine.
So with those pictures I went to Greece for an Erasmus+ training course and after some night hours spent in Athens I landed in a small town called Kalambaka.
My first impression of Greece was nice. Much nicer then noisy Italy or unfortunately dirty Spain. And I must admit I love smell of mandarins and oranges hanging on trees. Pure Guerlain mandarine scent.
Anyway, in Trikala we went to visit Major and it turned out that Greece is famous for mainly three things. That is Santorini, Crete, and yes - Meteora!
This Meteora I had view from hotel and I did not know even about it existence before!


So what is this Meteora?
In Greek they write it Μετέωρα, pronounced [mɛˈtɛoɾɐ]. Literally it means "middle of the sky" or "suspended in the air" or "in the heavens above”. You can choose your version preferred.
It is nothing less than a formation of really immense monolithic pillars and hills-like huge rounded boulders which totally dominate the local plain area.
It is is famous place for those that climb the mountains (oh, I want do this more!) but not only.
On the top of it there is some largest and most precipitously built complexes of Eastern Orthodox monasteries in Greece.
And of course Metéora is included on the UNESCO World Heritage List.

The short movie you can see at:

https://www.facebook.com/NGM/videos/10156036150918336/

Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

Malta

Bridge diving, Bosnia and Herzegovina